Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Brief Look At Gears Of War 2


Mindless entertainment. I could use those two words only as my post today as it describes my thoughts on Gears Of War 2 quite nicely. It wouldn't be much of a post though so allow me to offer some thoughts on the game.

Gears Of War 2 was exactly what I expected a sequel to the original to be. It didn't evolve too far beyond Gears Of War with only slight improvements to the gameplay, graphics and narrative. It didn't really need to evolve though, as the core experience that the series provides remains in tact and that is fine by me. As I mentioned before, I see the games as mindless entertainment - the series I can go to when I want to see massive amounts of gore or satisfy any sadistic urges I have to kill something. I mean, I can't help but smile when I hear the satisfying pop of a Locust's head as it gets sniped from afar, nor can I resist a smirk when I chainsaw one of the ugly monsters in half. It's a guilty pleasure, what can I say?

Interestingly enough I haven't played it as much as I did the original so I wonder if that is because the Achievements were easier this time around or because I am getting tired of how the game actually plays. I stand by my opinion that Gears Of War's multiplayer is more enjoyable for me than other games out there, but then I also can't help but think of all of the bad experiences I have had while playing the series online as well. Perhaps the easier Achievements this time around were a blessing because I didn't have to play the game online as much, keeping me away from the possibility of getting into a frustrating match or having to listen to anonymous idiots and their foul-mouths? Another reason could be simply that getting the game finished faster allowed me to play the many other games I have been playing lately? Who knows, who cares? What I do know is that the game was a good enough sequel to me and gives me the mindless fun that I crave sometimes. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

No comments: