Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Game Diary - May 27, 2009: A Visit To South Central


Downloadable content can be a blessing or a curse, depending on the game and of course the content being released. Not too long after I finished the game, Midnight Club: LA received some DLC in the form of South Central, which added new cars, races, music and also extended the city significantly, giving players a new area to explore.

As both a completionist and fan of the game, it was inevitable that I would download the content and return to LA. I'm glad I did as well as the additional content was really enjoyable and it was nice to be playing again. It extends upon an already awesome racing game and South Central is designed in a really fun way just like the main city of LA.

Unfortunately, there is no real reason to explore South Central as the content is too short. The actual place is fine, but I believe there isn't enough races or things to do within to fully take advantage of the new area and that is disappointing. It felt like every ten minutes I was unlocking another of the game's new Achievements and overall it just passed by in a blur. The races were fairly easy too with only one or two requiring a retry on my part, though I do wonder if the difficulty is dictated by the fact that I had already finished the main game and therefore had access to all the cars, upgrades and so on. I'm mildly intrigued to know how someone who hadn't finished the main game would see South Central's difficulty, but really the issue is trivial and doesn't take away from the overall enjoyment.

South Central comes fully recommended from me if you're a fan of the game, but I also wish there was more to do as an incentive to explore the new area. Midnight Club: LA is officially finished once again so I will be moving on. Hopefully I can return to LA again sometime in the future.

No comments: